Friday, July 8, 2011

Does the Green Lantern Shine?


First off I just wanted to let you all know that I am aware this post is overdue. Rather than letting it collect more in my mind I figured I would share it, unlike all of the previous movies I have sought to review (and never made time for it). I especially want to discuss this movie because it hits close to home. I'm a big super hero fan, not so big into comics, but I am a big fan of the characters. I just don't think I have the patience to read comics, though when I do, I typically enjoy them. Anyway, so the green lantern movie was fantastic in some ways, poor in others. I'll start with the pros because I'm a positive guy. The Special effects and CGI were amazing. Out of this world. Sinestro looked perfect. I think it might have had the best effects I have ever seen (apart from Reynold's ring tricks, I'm speaking more of character models, destruction, and the world of OA). I liked everything about the camera angles, shots, and use of effects. Definitively the biggest thing the movie had going for it. The acting was also better than expected, I felt like Sarsgaard and Strong were the two best, but Reynolds surprising played a pretty good GL/ Hal. I am not a Reynolds fan, I used to be a hater, but now I think I'm in the middle about him. Still would have preferred a different Hal, though. As far as I know the movie was pretty comic-ly accurate, I don't know if I'm wrong on that or not but regardless I know it was close. Side note- Blake Lively is attractive.
The reason I think this movie flopped on RT or IMDB is because of the lack of action. The character development wasn't 100% solid but it was good enough to sell a fresh review in my opinion, so the only thing I can muster up is the lack of "heart" for a superhero movie. The villain is parallax, who is pretty much just a cloud of sin until (SPOILERS) after the credits role and you see a sinister sinestro beginning his Corps. There was close to no action, any action you saw was in the trailer when Hal kicks Parallax Professor Egghead. I don't think the lack of action hurt the movie too much honestly, because I'm a sucker for "origins" and good stories. If the sequel happens (which I'm pretty sure was recently confirmed...) it will be better than the first, and I can practically guarantee it. Sinestro as the bad guy, sinestro corps vs GL corps with the introduction of other GL's will prove to be a solid summer blockbuster IF WRITTEN CORRECTLY. It would be a hard sequel to ruin, considering everyone thought the first movie was a bust.

OVERALL : 7.5
ACTING : 7
EFFECTS : 9
ENTERTAINMENT VALUE: 7
WORTH SEEING IN THEATERS? YES


Please don't mess this up Hollywood, I'm sick of admitting that Marvel's Movies are good.

In Brightest Crab, in Darkest Lobster, Don't lose hope just keep Crabbin on. PACE

2 comments:

DiCrabrio said...

Wow, great job. We need more of this.

DiCrabrio said...

I'm not doing a Potter post specifically so this stays at the top