Sunday, August 28, 2011

Film Review: Memento

First and foremost, I would like to again apologize for the major slackage on the site. Us CRABs have been very busy on various endeavors and being the entrepreneurs we are we had to attend to certain important issues. That being said, I recently made a new friend in the film industry and he suggested that we watch his favorite movie, "Memento". I had never heard of it; but apparently it is well known and loved (so my friend says). I think he told me before I watched it but I guess I forgot, but I was pleased to read in the opening credits that it was a Christopher Nolan film. I knew right then I was going to like it; but not as much as I actually did. I was a little taken back when he showed me the trailer. The trailer wasn't all that well done and the film appeared to be very low budget. Anyway, the film is like inception and 50 first dates fused; a complete mind stimulation takes place as you watch it, with the same premise as 50 first dates (short term memory loss). Guy Pearce, the lead, does a fantastic job. Now being the guy I am and loving movies as much as I do I was surprised that I had never previously know this Pearce guy (see what I did there?). He was very convincing and quite fabulous, really. Anyway, so the movie is a series of flashbacks mashed up with somewhat present thoughts. I won't explain the movie because I don't want to take anything away from it, I'll just say it was great.
The only complaint I have about the film is that you really can't grasp the whole thing in just one viewing. I had to ask my friend about some of the loose ends, and its sort of like inception in the way that Lenny (Pearce) consistently fools the audience (in inception you sometimes had to wonder what was a dream and what wasn't). Also, the movie reminds me of the novel "one flew over the cuckoo's nest" because you really question if the protagonist is full of it or not. Just watch the movie.

PLOT: 9.5
ACTING: 8.75
SHOTS: 7.5
REPLY VALUE : HIGH
OVERALL RATING (J.G. ONLY, CRAB Rating TBD): 8.75

1 comment:

DiCrabrio said...

Welcome back buddy, lets do this. Great comeback article.